1st: Kerrek Stinson - 84.9
2nd: Brian Pardo - 79.2
3rd: Joel Brady - 64
4th: Adrien Lagasse - 59.4
5th: Matthew Tschippert - 55
1st: Melina Costanza - 100
2nd: Caroline Brody - 89.9
3rd: Maggie Bupp - 45
4th: Sarah Albani - 39.7
5th: Abigail Gaugler - 29.9
We are VERY PSYCHED to host another VERY EXCITING Steel Town Throw Down as part of our 2nd Anniversary Celebration, set for Saturday, March 23, 2019. In addition to competitors we'll need volunteers to judge the youth competition, so take a look below if you think you've got what it takes! We'll continue to add to this event post, so please check back often for the most up-to-date information.
The ASCEND Steel Town Throw Down is our local citizens competition, designed for anyone who likes a little friendly competition while having a great time! Youth competitors will compete earlier in the day in a modified redpoint format with respect to age divisions, whereas adults will be placed in divisions based on performance.
For more information on formats, awards, and to register to compete, follow the registration links below.
- All 10 adult finalists win cash by splitting a cash purse of $2,200!
- Each Steel Town Throw Down competitor will receive one raffle ticket to be entered to win sweet swag graciously donated by our sponsors. This brief, yet awesome raffle will be held shortly after the comp just before awards are announced, so be sure to stick around - anyone can win BIG! There will be separate youth and adult raffles held shortly after each comp.
- Youth competitors who would like to compete in both comps will be permitted to, but must register for both comps and cannot place or make finals in the adult comp. They will, however, be eligible to win raffle prizes. If you are of a youthful age, but only wish to compete in the Adult comp, you will be permitted to do so and will therefore be treated no different than any other adult competitor.
- All competitors must complete an ASCEND Waiver. To save time, please complete this online before your arrival HERE.
- Early Bird pricing available through Sunday, March 10.
- All competitors have the option to purchase an event t-shirt for only $15 when registering online prior to March 23.
- Event shirts will be for sale during the event, but will cost $20, availability will be limited, and preferred sizing will not be guaranteed.
- See below for shirt design!
- 10a-1p - Youth comp (9a registration)
- 1:30p - Youth awards and raffle (must be present to win/claim raffle prize)
- 2p-5p - Adult comp (1p registration)
- 5:30p - Adult awards and raffle (must be present to win/claim raffle prize)
- 7p-9p - Finals and ASCEND 2nd Anniversary Celebration!
- Monday, March 18 - No desk side purple boulder (only after 8p)
- Tuesday, March 19 - No purple boulder
- Wednesday, March 20 - No purple boulder, no blue boulder
- Thursday, March 21 - No purple boulder, no blue boulder
- Friday, March 22 - No bouldering (facility closes at 8p)
- Saturday, March 23 - Closed for all of the competitions (spectators welcome at no cost!)
- Sunday, March 24 - 100% open for redemption
Note: Most yoga, fitness, and climbing classes will run throughout the week, but check calendars to ensure availability.
We are in need of volunteers to serve as climbing judges for the youth competition in the morning. All volunteers will receive a one-of-a-kind Steel Town Throw Down event shirt, 2 Day Passes to ASCEND Pittsburgh, and so many high-fives!
To learn more and to register to volunteer, please go HERE and help us spread the word!
- Apparently Pittsburgh is hosting the NCAA 2019 Division 1 Wrestling Championship this same weekend, so our go-to hotels friends are tapped out! We'll let you know if we land something else.
Spectators are welcome and encouraged at no cost! The weekend will also feature:
- Food Trucks:
- D's Road Dogz 11:30a-3:30p
- Pita My Schwarma 11:30a-7p
- Pittsburgh Sandwich Society 3:30p-8p
- Tasty Beverages:
- East End Brewing Company will begin pouring beer and non-alcoholic beverages promptly at 5p until the end of finals and donating $1 to SWPACC for every drink poured throughout the night - please give them a high-five! SWPACC will also be selling GLOW IN THE DARK silicone pints (see below), which includes one FREE beverage from EEBC. Support a good cause while having fun! Please note that you do not need to purchase a SWPACC pint to drink, but it is STRONGLY encouraged.