ASCEND Pittsburgh and ASCEND Youngstown's doors are open! BUT, due to the nature of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and our desire to keep our community healthy and strong, some aspects of our operations will be impacted. We ask that you review the information below before arriving to an ASCEND facility, as there are restrictions, considerations, and a mandatory reservation system. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding while we make our way back toward normalcy. This information is subject to change, so check back here for the most up-to-date information.
TLDR - KNOW BEFORE YOU SHOW
- Staff and guests must wear masks/cloth face coverings whenever possible, except if having trouble breathing, feeling lightheaded or dizzy, or while eating or drinking.
- Everyone must maintain recommended hygiene and social distancing measures.
- Showers and drinking fountains are not in use, though you may refill your personal water bottle.
- Please read everything below, follow all posted signs in the facilities, and treat our staff and your fellow climbers with kindness and respect.
- Both locations are welcoming members, punch passes, and day passes, but all by reservation only. There are a limited number of punch pass and day pass slots available per session.
- Our retail stores are open to the public during the climbing sessions, so come on in, but please mind all the facility rules!
RESERVATIONS are required to enter a facility. Please do not show up without having a reservation and mind our cancellation policy! Click below for details and to get climbing and consider downloading the RGPro Connect Mobile App from the Apple Store or Google Play to make booking easier.
Other than reservations, what’s most important to know?
- Face Coverings: Staff and guests must wear masks/cloth face coverings whenever possible, except if having trouble breathing, feeling lightheaded or dizzy, or while eating or drinking. This includes during check in, in the restrooms and locker rooms, and during climbing, working out, and yoga. Face coverings must cover both the mouth and nose, but may be temporarily lowered to drink or eat. ASCEND will not be providing masks so please bring your own. Though strongly not recommended or preferred, face shields may be used as a last resort substitution for those citing medical conditions preventing the wearing of a mask.
- Social Distancing: Guests must respect at least 6 feet of social distance at all times. Certain areas of the gym will have limited capacity to avoid overcrowding. If you visit with someone who you reside with, you do not have to social distance, but we ask for everyone to use common sense and discretion.
- Wash Hands: Please wash your hands before and after climbing, as well as at various times throughout your climbing session. Hand sanitizer will also be available throughout the gym, and we want you to use it. Also, please refrain from touching your face.
- Stay Home: If you feel sick or know that you’ve been with someone who is sick, you must stay home. This is not only a state mandate, but it is the responsible thing to do. Please do not risk spreading illness to your friends and community!
What is ASCEND doing?
- Maintaining suitable capacity levels and facility loads via the reservation systems and controlling flow in certain areas. Our maximum capacity number may fluctuate, but always with employee and customer safety as the limiting factor.
- Increased continuous cleaning measures, as well as providing time between reservation slots to deeper clean commonly used areas.
- The entire space will be professionally disinfected using an electrostatic spray multiple times a month.
- Increased air filtration measures, including higher airflow, installation of MERV-13 filters, and changing filters more frequently, where applicable.
- Greater access to hand sanitizer and disinfectant spray to use in the facility.
- Certain equipment, including rental chalk bags, yoga mats, and other equipment/props will not be made available.
What else is good to know?
- Water fountains and showers are unavailable (BYO water bottle to fill).
- Guests and staff will be disinfecting fitness equipment, auto-belay carabiners, tables and chairs, benches, and other surfaces before and after use.
- Read and follow all posted signs in the facility. Some areas will have specific rules, capacities, and instructions.
- Please close the toilet seat lid before flushing, and use the step-and-pulls on doors where available.
- Please enter the facility with as little as possible. Try to avoid using the changing area and bringing in numerous bags. Reduce your personal load while in the facility, such as carrying fewer items with you as you move from climb to climb.
- We recommend that people use liquid chalk, but we will still allow loose chalk. Liquid chalk typically contains anywhere from 30-80% alcohol content and many have suggested that it can be used similarly to hand sanitizer, however, the research is very limited on the efficacy of liquid chalk. (Here is a good article if you’re interested.) Still though, liquid chalk has the added benefit of reducing chalk in the air which is better for our lungs as well as our air filters.
Will there be rental equipment?
Rental shoes, harnesses, and belay equipment will be available, but not chalk bags. Rented items will be properly cleaned before put back into use. Additionally, yoga mats, props, and some fitness equipment will not be available, so please bring your own yoga mats and other personal items that you require.
May I buy a membership?
Yes, we are allowing new memberships, but we ask that you do so online ahead of your visit.
May I use my member guest passes?
Yes! Sign up your guest as a Day Pass participant within the booking system and let our staff know once you arrive.
Is acro yoga permitted?
- At this time, acro yoga is not permitted anywhere in the facility. We are working to change this, because we love our acro team, so please stay tuned!
Will other programs be offered?
Yoga and fitness classes are currently offered in Pittsburgh, and will be coming online in Youngstown soon. For the time being, there will not be any regularly scheduled climbing programs (Learn to Top-Rope, Boulder Basics, Sport Climbing, etc). Our Youth Climbing Team is also unavailable at this time. We will continue to evaluate these programs and start them back up as soon as it is appropriate.
Personal Training, Private Climbing Instruction, & Private Climbing Classes will operate based on trainer/instructor availability. Please email [email protected] for more information.
ASCEND TO GO
A new, online platform designed to keep you connected and in-shape whenever you're unable to visit an ASCEND location. Including fitness workouts and pro-tips, yoga classes and at home practice ideas, climbing technique and drills, rope skills tutorials, club virtual hangouts, and the ASCEND Blog, ASCEND To Go is ripe for exploration!
Check out our brand-new online retail store, stocked with climbing gear, ASCEND merchandise, and concessions!
OUR COVID-19 COMMITMENT
The COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent business closure and limited reopening has ushered in unprecedented, daily challenges for conducting business. With constantly fluid information and guidelines from authorities, we want to make one thing clear - our commitment to our customers and our employees remains constant - by maintaining transparent communication through this crisis and balance the needs of our employees, our members, and the future of ASCEND through thoughtful decision-making.