Ascend Pittsburgh’s premier climbing facility is currently under construction and looking for a head routesetter to work alongside and collaborate with Ascend’s Routesetting Director. This is a full-time position that will start before the gym is open for business, providing an opportunity to participate in the initial purchase of holds and volumes and setting of the gym. Starting salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
An ideal candidate will have commercial routesetting experience and aspirations to refine routesetting abilities through reputable training and certification programs. The primary responsibilities of this position are to set and forerun routes, maintain hold inventory, and make recommendations for ongoing hold and equipment purchases. However, Ascend also demands teamwork and cross-training, occasionally calling for, but not limited to, customer service, retail sales, coaching, special events, and/or administrative duties.
Ascend Pittsburgh, located in Pittsburgh’s South Side, is a 27,000 sq ft facility that will offer climbing, yoga, fitness, training, youth programming, childcare, retail, concessions, and special events. The climbing surface totals 10,500 sq ft with 75% devoted to bouldering and 25% devoted to a top-rope wall. The four distinct climbing areas include the following:
- 16’ tall massive arch end capped with creative, yet functional formations.
- 14’ top-out boulder of varying terrain.
- 15’ slab wall transitioning to an overhanging/near horizontal corner cave.
- 24’ top-rope wall will not only serve beginners, events, and education, but is also designed to intrigue and pump the most experienced climbers.
Additionally, the setting and storage room is among the largest in the industry that will suit any routesetter’s dreams. Finally, the locker-room facilities, indoor bike parking, and lounge with communal kitchenette area will make guests, members, and employees feel at home.
Ascend Pittsburgh is co-managed by Pittsburgh-based climbers Alex Bernstein, Aaron Gilmore, Paul Guarino, and Todd McCormick. Our mission is to build-upon and grow an already developed community of climbers and fitness-driven individuals in the Southwestern Pennsylvania area. We have high aspirations to live up to the standards set by some of the best gyms in the world and become a nationally recognized collaborator in the industry. Ascend Pittsburgh is entering an underserved market and is positioned to become a recognized and respected brand to a broad group of residents and visitors. Please consider joining our young, talented, and motivated team and becoming a positive influence on new and existing climbers that walk through Ascend’s doors.
To apply, please send your resume(s), reference list, and any other pertinent information to Paul Guarino at: [email protected]
- Efficiently set quality routes up to 5.13 and problems up to V11.
- Assist the management team to hire, schedule, and coordinate work with routesetters.
- Work with the Routesetting Director to manage a monthly hold budget and to maintain a seamless resetting schedule.
- Collaborate with the marketing team on competitions and other special events.
- Maintain a standard of having each route/problem forerun by setting team and provide/receive constructive criticism to ensure quality and style specific metrics.
- Work with the setting team to strip, clean, and organize our inventory of holds in order to keep the gym clean and safe for everyday operations.
- Follow appropriate safety guidelines and use fall safety equipment when necessary.
- Establish routes and problems while working from a rope or ladder.
- Weekday and weekend work will be required, with overtime being occasionally necessary.
- Commercial setting experience is required. USAC setting certification and AMGA or CWA instructor certifications are preferred, but not required.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and living by Ascend’s moral guidelines and brand expectations is a must.